As Foot It merges seamlessly into the Patchwork Challenge, I thought I'd do a quick summary of where I'd got to by the end of January... in part to ensure that I'm not slacking off now that Foot It is officially a week behind us!
Having access to the full BirdTrack database turned out to be quite useful because it took me seconds to work out how many 'accounted for' hours I've put in so far (I always record a start and finish time for my lists). Species accumulation was just as easy, using the Explore My Records tool:
These patch stats don't quite tally up with my Foot It total of 81, thanks to pesky Waxwings! I walked/ran for a flock within my Foot It radius in January, only to discover that whilst they were safely Foot It'd, they were actually 430m outside my predefined Patchwork Challenge area! That slight hiccup was rectified when a/the flock appeared 'on patch' last week... though conversely, I got a lift in a colleague's car to see them in a coffee break (shame on me).
Anyway, 40 hours 'on patch' by the end of January was a reasonable effort, when a full-time job and a 3½ year old are factored in. Species accumulation flat-lined in mid January, despite my effort remaining fairly constant. Needless to say, a Bittern (the first since January 2011) turned up within a day or two of the end of January!
Thanks again to Mark and everyone who was involved this year - great fun!